Plymouth Gin is produced by The Black Friars Distillery the only remaining gin distillery in Plymouth, once a Dominican order monastery built in 1431, which opens onto Southside Street. The distilling business of Fox & Williamson began the distilling the Plymouth brand in 1793.
The established distilling business of Fox & Williamson began the distilling of the Plymouth brand in 1793. Soon, the business was to become known as Coates & Co which it remained until March 2004. In 1996, the brand was sold by Allied-Lyons to a management group headed by Charles Rolls who reinvigorated it.
The Plymouth Original Strength brand of gin is 41.2% ABV. It is different and slightly less dry than the much more common London style of gin, purportedly due to a higher than usual proportion of root ingredients, which bring a more ‘earthy’ feel to the gin as well as a softened juniper flavour. There is also a ‘navy strength’ variety which is 57% ABV (100° English proof), being the traditional strength demanded by the British Royal Navy.
Plymouth Gin, Dom Benedictine, Cointreau, Cherry Liqueur and Pineapple juice all mixed up make our delicious Singapore sling.